Impossible is Nothing


Until you spread your wings, you'll have no idea how far you can fly.

                                                                                                                            -Unknown


A day I can never forget. It was the day of our school's Inter-house football competition. Our house had qualified the previous day and was in the finals. I, being the captain of the team, could not miss this match. Unfortunately, that very day, I was down with 103-degree fever.
                That morning at home, there was a huge argument about my going to school. Much to my dismay my grandfather and parents won, forcing me to stay at home. I had to stay in bed all day covered with a blanket, allowed only to sit up for my meals. 
                Throughout the day I kept on thinking about my team and the match. Our house had some of the best players, but one of them was injured. If I too didn't show up, we would surely lose the finals. The fact we could have won would make me regret it a lot. But what finally got me into action was a phone call from school - the call came from my classmate, a good friend, pleading to be taken on the team though he could play very well. I remember the words that struck fear in my heart.
               'Why haven't you come today? The entire opposition team is present here. As it is Raghavendra is injured. Now you Ishan and Rishabh are absent too!' 
                 On hearing these words, all my hopes of winning the match faded away. Ishan, Raghavendra, and Rishabh were good players. It was as though our team was absent! I explained to him about my health and after putting down the phone, made a dozen calls trying to convince Mom and Dad who were away at work.
                But it seemed useless. No matter how hard I tried, they just wouldn't listen. I just felt like getting up and walking out, but the fever had me bound. Finally, right before my lunch, I made one last desperate attempt to convince my parents to allow me to play for the sake of my team. 
                To my surprise and delight, Dad allowed me to go, perhaps understanding how it was for me. The world suddenly felt warmer(no pun intended) and I began saying a hundred thank you to my parents. The plan was to leave at 2 o'clock and reach school just before the match started. My mother asked me to take a strong medicine that would keep the fever at bay. So at the sound of the clock striking two, I set off for school. The medicine seemed to do the trick. I started sweating in the car, and I felt the energy rush through my veins. I took off my jacket ready to play, just as the car screeched to a halt in front of the gate. 
                    The five-min walk wasn't eventful but as I entered the field wasn't eventful but as I entered the field I saw the two teams lined up on the sides with the referee. I kept walking, waiting to see would happen, careful not to run, in case the fever took hold again. 
                I felt all eyes on me; some had angry eyes, some held a look of disbelief. My friends came up and asked how I was. But the real welcome was yet to come. As I walked towards the team, I raised my hand and the whole team screamed their lungs out! I felt like I was Lionel Messi, being welcomed on the field by fans! I quickened my pace and pulled on my boots, while the rest of the team patted my back and smiled at me.
            Then the toss was taken and the whistle blew, signaling the start of the match. The first few minutes were like any other match, but then suddenly I noticed something was wrong. My stamina was weakening and my knees began to ache. The sun was beating down with full force and as my whole body screamed for rest, my mind willed me to play. 
            The other team seemed to have the upper hand. I couldn't run fast enough. Thankfully Ishan had been able to make it after all, and I got some support in the attack. We avoided some goals due to our strong defense. The other teams passing was better than ours and they got more possession of the ball. Thankfully the half-time whistle blew just as I was about to collapse. 
               Drinking a glass of water mixed with Glucon D, a senior student and I cheered up the team saying that only one half was over. But inside, I sighed. I was the captain and if we lost this time, I would never be able to forgive myself. Surprisingly that's exactly when my knees stopped aching.
               It was our centre this time and when the whistle blew, I passed the ball to Ishan who gave me a through pass past an opponent. On receiving, I moved past another defender, I only to see the goal blocked by two more players. I didn't want to let go of this one chance by using my usual dribble to goal strategy; and so I closed my eyes and shot. 
               I wasn't really one for taking shots because they weren't always accurate. But this time I don't know what happened, for when I opened my eyes, the team was screaming and jumping on me. I had scored a goal! Reinforced with new-found hope, we played on. Goal after goal was scored with accurate passing and great teamwork. A few collisions occurred including one where I crashed into an opponent but without any serious consequences.
               And then it was all over...the whistle blew with the final score 3-2 in our favor. Everyone went crazy. A few people came and congratulated me, but otherwise, nobody saw me walk out of the field, across the school and into my car. With the day coming to an end, I suddenly began to shiver. The fever was coming back but I had learnt a valuable lesson that day - Nothing is Impossible!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                



























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Develop These Skills for Digital Marketing In 2022

To Be A Good Pal ...

A Friend Found